Asian American Therapy
- Experiencing issues of racism and microaggressions?
- Struggling to meet family expectations of college, dating, and career choices?
- Dealing with issues such as communication and emotional expression with your parents?
- Struggling with the invalidation, lack of compassion, and understanding from your family members?
- A parent feeling inadequate and helpless because you can’t seem to understand what your children are thinking?
Get culturally competent care
In the therapy room, your unique history and experiences that contribute to your belief system and actions will be explored. You will make adaptive changes to your life by learning to build on your strengths and garner resources that are relevant to your environments.
Together, we will
- Address issues of racism and discrimination
- Explore issues of independence vs interdependence
- Work through conflicts between the values of autonomy and conformity
- Recognize unmet needs and learn ways to meet those needs
- Learn effective ways of communicating with family members
- Develop strategies to repair estranged relationships
Working with intergenerational issues in Asian immigrant families requires culturally responsive approaches. If you are looking for someone who can understand your unique perspective as an Asian American, I can guide you towards healing. Although there are many shared experiences among the Asian community, Asian-Americans are immensely diverse in many ways and I do not make assumptions about your experiences and adherence to traditional cultural values and practices.